Monday, December 30, 2013

Far Eastern Influential.


















I have to be honest, I teetered a lot on this next meal. I really wanted to make Shepherd's Pie, BUT, I want to make it with a sweet potato top (recipe courtesy of Skinny Taste) and it's too soon to bring those back to the table.So I went instead to another savory "One Pot" meal, Curried Ground Turkey w/ potatoes served over rice (I use Success Boil-in-Bag). I found the original recipe here, of course I made some adjustments and tweaks as I saw fit. I enjoyed this meal, and my critic panel threw no complaints, in fact they had extra servings.

However -truth moment-  it was bland, the curry taste was there, but it didn't hold well flavor. I think the next time, I will use coconut milk instead of water and see what that does.

You may want to make that adjustment now or you can try it as is and see how you like it! Either way ... here we go!

What you'll need...
 

As usual with Sunday dinner, I did all my prep work first and set it aside until it was time to cook.

*The original recipe calls for 2-4 roma tomatoes, diced but I bought (and drained) Hunt's diced tomatoes, roasted garlic flavor. I mention this now because if you want to use the roma tomatoes, they need to be diced and that should be included in prep.

Three large potatoes, peeled and cubed.
1 onion, chopped
1-2 fresh red chiles, chopped

1 inch peeled ginger, finely grated
2 garlic cloves chopped
 Heat 3-4 Tblspns Olive Oil (I use a Canola & Olive oil blend) medium high in a large pot with a lid
 add ground turkey to the hot oil, spread it out (try not to crowd the meat)
 Cook without stirring until it begins to brown, then add onion and chile
.
 saute until onion starts to color, sprinkle salt add ginger and garlic, mix well
 Saute 5 -6 minutes, add 3 tblspns curry powder
 2 Tblspn cumin
 3 Tspns ground tumeric
3 Tspns ground Coriander
 add 1 cup frozen peas, 1 cup frozen carrots, 1 cup frozen corn, 1 cup frozen green beans (I used a steamfresh veggie pack that contained them all)
cubed potatoes and 1.5 cups water
 Stir well and cover
Reduce heat to medium /medium low, simmer for 30 -35 minutes. 
Stir and and add diced tomatoes
 Simmer, covered, another 10 - 13 minutes
while simmering, boil rice according to directions.
 Add butter as necessary
 Remove from heat, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment