So, I don't know about you guys, but my December has been BUUUUUUSY!! I'm excited for a break to share with you. I have two recipes and some GREAT food I experienced in Minnesota for you.
On Dec. 13th (or about) my office had our "Holiday potluck", I had never made anything for the office before but I was excited to try and do so. I wanted to stick to something with which I'd had success and that way I could be moderately comfortable that it would be tasty, but it also had to translate to a larger portion. I decided on Mozzarella Pesto Turkey Meatballs.
These were a massive success the first time I tried them, my critic panel was outwardly pleased. They were originally served with ziti, but for the office party, I left the noodles out and multiplied the original recipe by 3*(*exceptions are not a true x3 of the original, original noted).
Usually, when I make Sunday dinner I'm at my hideout, but I was in my home kitchen for this go 'round. I have a larger working surface and my gadgets so, comparatively, these were a breeze to make.
What you'll need...
6 jars marinara sauce
I like to make my own marinara in most situations but a "cook" this size, made the night before, does not allow that luxury.
I buy a "log" and cut it into 1/4 and then I cut those in 1/2 to cube.
Cut any larger chunks down further and then place the cheese to the side while and prepare the ground Turkey.
3 LBS Ground turkey
8* cloves garlic minced (*4 cloves)
3 eggs
3 cups Italian style breadcrumbs
1 1/2 cups Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1/2* cup heavy cream (*1/4 cup milk)
2/3 cup Pesto
1*cup fresh chopped parsley (*1/2 cup)
Combine all ingredients except Tomato Sauce
Mix well...
Preheat oven to 375.
Form meatballs
Mine are massive, it's a personal preference, you can choose the size best for your serving wish.
I use my thumb to indent the meatball and then pinch to try and make an even sized dent.
Stuff with mozzarella
Pinch to reseal
Roll to reshape and repeat steps above
Line them up on a cookie sheet and drizzle with 4*Tblspns EVOO
(I had to bake in shifts, had two trays full)
Bake 35 minutes** (**give or take 10 minutes depending on your oven)
While the meatballs are cooking, add the marinara to the Crockpot on medium
(you can also simmer the sauce in deep pan on medium heat on the stove top)
When the meatballs are done
Add them to the sauce
Bring the sauce to a fast simmer, reduce heat as low as possible and let sit 1-3 hrs (as long as possible)
This is where I would normally prepare the noodles and then serve.
My coworkers seemed to really enjoy them, they were only room temperature when we ate them but other than that -- I was pleased!
Hopefully you'll love them if you try them.
*original recipe*
1 lb ground turkey
1 cup finely chopped onion
4 cloves garlic minced
1 egg
1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese
1/2 cup chopped, fresh, parsley
1/4 cup pesto
1/4 cup milk
1 lb mozzarella cheese, cubed
3 Tblspn EVOO
2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce (4 cups homemade marinara)
No comments:
Post a Comment