Sunday, January 11, 2015

Soooooo .... Happy New Year! -- Yes, I know ...

...I'm a wretched person. It's been more than a year since I've posted. If it's any consolation, I've thought about, talked about, promoted, but sadly neglected this blog in my absence.

I promise there's a perfectly adorable sad face behind this computer screen right now. 

 Hopefully, hopeFULLY, I'll be able to stick to it this year. I LOVE blogging my meals but it's cumbersome. I think though, that not doing step by step by step by step ... and one more for good measure... by step pictures will help on the time. Don't worry there'll still be pictures, just not as many! I hope! *smile*

 Anyway, I did at least have the decency to return with recipes ready to share. I didn't just come back with promises LOL!

So, for today, we're going to get into my:


Game Day Chili.

We've been under a freeze here on the east coast and chili will definitely warm the soul! This recipe will serve a family of four and you should still have enough for a smaller family dinner or lunches or even nachos (YES! we use the thinner version for nachos in my house) the next day.

It has a slight kick to it but you can punch it by adding more or less Cayenne, hot sauce, or pickled jalapenos.

What you'll need:
2lbs Ground Turkey (or Lean Ground Beef)-*not pictured
1 medium onion chopped-*not pictured
4 cloves garlic minced-*not pictured
2 - 15 oz cans pinto beans
1 - 6oz can tomato paste 
**note - for a thinner (not watery but soupy) chili do not drain beans, pour entire contents of both cans into pot, and add an extra can of paste.
for a thicker chili drain and rinse beans before adding to pot. In addition to draining, for a SUPER thick chili, you can also add an extra can of tomato paste.** 

3 - 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 - 12oz Dark Beer (I use Guinness extra stout)
1 - 4.5 oz can chopped green chiles
1 - 14.5 Chicken Broth
2 tablespoons (*Tblspns) Chili powder
1 Tblspn Worcestershire sauce
2 Tblspns ground cumin
2 teaspoons (*Tspns) ground red peppers
1 Tspn Smoked paprika
1 - 2 Tspns Hot sauce  *I use a milder hot sauce so I use 4 tspns*
Pickled Jalapenos, Shredded Cheese , Sour cream - *Chili toppers *not pictured

In the pot you'll be using to make your chili, combine the turkey, onion and garlic
Cook thru until meat is done.

Combine the remaining ingredients *except for toppers* mix well and bring to boil.

After boil, reduce heat, simmer three (3) hours or until thickened. Garnish and Serve!



This one, in the thick and thin versions, is a hit when I make it. I serve with King's Hawaiian Rolls and Corona!

Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment